Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Futurastic Choice.

I recently had to observe a Special Education Class for one of my college courses. I did not know what to expect because I was always surrounded by regular Education classes. Well, the experience I had there was one i will never forget.
The classroom was of a small size, ten children with one main teacher, an assistant teacher and three personal paras. The children had conditions such as: down-syndrome, fragile x and cerebral palsy. They seemed to be on an intellectual level of pre-school children, only they were thirteen and fourteen years old.
The students and teachers made me feel very welcomed by showing a kind and friendly greeting. I sat in the back of the room and observed a boy undressing himself, then getting scolded for it. Very strange sounds and noises. The interaction between teacher and student was so caring and touching I felt the tears come out of my eyes.
Working in a personal and secluded environment is extremely important while learning. Each teacher worked one on one with a student, including myself. I had the privilege of working one on one with four children ranging from writing the letter 'c', reading and completing worksheets to follow. They touched my heart and I truly loved working with them and being helpful.
Those children made me realize that my future is coming quickly. I need to decide what kind of teacher I want to be, four years is a short time away. They have made me come to an easy decision, that is, it would be a privilege to work with handicapped students. And I can honestly say I could picture myself doing that for the rest of my life.


No comments: